As an evidence-based architecture and interior design practice, we work with our clients to deliver spaces that enhance occupant wellbeing and project specific outcomes.
We work alongside the client plus financial, HR, and FM managers, as well as the building users themselves, to build a complete picture. There is no ‘one size fits all’ and we make it our mission to find what is right for each of our clients. The foundation of this is a pre-and post-occupancy evaluation.
We observe and analyse existing spaces, gathering quantitative and qualitative evidence so that we can better understand the spatial and human opportunities that exist. This helps us ensure we develop a brief that will fulfil the requirements of the client and the people that use the space; improving the results for the triple bottom line of people, planet and performance.
Our 5 Key Ideas
Within our design projects, we incorporate five key ideas to ensure that our designs are tailored effectively to both the current and future needs of our clients.
- Sustainable Spaces – We create spaces which are durable yet capable of change so can grow and adapt with our clients changing needs.
- Nature & Technology – We make use of new, innovative technology to ensure that the client maintains a positive connection to nature.
- WELL Building Standard – We try to consider WELL’s 10 concepts for health & wellbeing in the built environment in our design phase to ensure our spaces work for all occupants.
- Biophilic Design – We harness the human-nature connection to improve psychological & physiological wellbeing and productivity in the spaces we design.
- Connected Community – Our evidence-based designs improve a sense of community & connectedness within the built environment.
From initial concepts to detailed designs our expertise and experience of creating Biophilic interiors and architectural designs means we can confidently communicate and deliver our ideas - be that through drawings, written reports or presentations.
We take huge care in implementing our designs and, after a considered handover, we ensure that our designs continue to deliver to the highest standard whilst in-use; we gather post-project feedback and insights that help us to learn and grow from each project and turn evidence into insights.
This also allows us the opportunity to continue working with our clients to solve any issues that arise. As clients’ needs are constantly changing and evolving, we don’t believe that a space is ever ‘done’. This cyclical design process keeps us and our clients in the loop to ensure spaces continue to support those that use them.
Biophilic Work Stage Plan
- Project definition - pre-occupancy evaluations
- Developing a brief
- Concept design
- Outline design
- Detail design
- Implementation / construction
- In-use and post-occupancy evaluations
Research shows that...
Applying Biophilic Design to offices leads to a
improvement in wellbeing
Applying Biophilic Design to healthcare spaces has lead to a
reduction in use of pain medication
Spaces We Can Improve
We can help with developing new or existing spaces to incorporate Biophilic Design elements. We offer full interior and architectural design services that can benefit a range of spaces including:
- Temporary Spaces
Areas of Improvement
Our creative approach requires strategic thinking to meet the diverse needs of clients and building occupants, whether that’s for the design of a classroom or a modern workplace.
We apply Biophilic Design principles to:
- optimise and organise spaces with a human focus
- improve thermal comfort levels
- address air quality, toxin levels and ventilation
- create acoustic comfort
- improve natural and artificial lighting
- enhance internal and external views onto nature
- incorporate natural materials, textures, patterns and colours
- include recuperative spaces
- improve aesthetic environments with brand recognition
- consider the psychological and physiological effects of the space
All built spaces, from the design of a specific space to city wide urban design strategies, can benefit from the application of Biophilic Design principles.
At Oliver Heath Design, we have wide experience of working on projects of different scales and budgetary constraints. This extensive experience allows us to develop solutions for every client.
Through our initial conversations about the project scope and budget, we can create a bespoke package of services based on a client's vision, budget and individual needs.
As an indication of how this can vary, here is a breakdown of focus areas for a range of project scales. These packages aren’t prescriptive, so if you would like to discuss your project and the options we can offer please do contact us.
|Low Budget||Medium Budget||High Budget|
Evidence-based advice on how to improve spaces for wellbeing
Zoning & furniture orientation consultation
Outline design plans
Focused evidence-based research report on how to improve your space
In-depth spatial analysis
Detailed concept design
Elevations and plans
Colours, materials and planting strategies
Creation of bespoke business case using pre-and post-occupancy evaluations (for workplace design)
Architectural and interior design responses
Full drawing package including detailing
Lighting, heating, ventilation and electrical plans
“Improving the human connection to nature is at the heart of all our designs. Whether it's residential, retail, workplace or hospitality, our unique research-led approach to interior and architectural projects helps us create more productive, happier, and healthier spaces to live and work in.”Jo Baston Designer, Oliver Heath Design
Get in touch...
Want to discuss how we can help you with your next project?